We’ve been looking at an overall picture of general culture. There is a lot to be learned about popular culture by looking at the signs and the bumper stickers that people display
There are academic studies on bumper sticker culture. For some they just let us know where they recently vacationed. For others they describe a worldview. Of course we have the whole “I (heart)…” series. Here are some more:
- Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyway.
- No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.
- My Child Can Beat Up Your Honor Student.
- Don’t Laugh – Your Daughter Might Be In Here. (On Old Truck)
- Stamp Out Crime – Abolish the IRS
- Dare to keep the CIA off Drugs.
- Just say no to sexist Pro-Lifers.
- My Other Car is a Broom.
- Quit Sniveling.
- Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?
- Husbands Are Proof That Women Have a Sense of Humor.
- Forget the Whales, Save the Cowboy.
- Eat American Lamb. Ten Million Coyotes Can’t be Wrong.
- “If You Call Some Animals Pets, How Can You Call Other Animals Dinner?”
- Old Skiers Never Die. They Just go Downhill.
- Money Isn’t Everything, But it Sure Keeps the Kids In Touch.
- Happiness is the Ball in the Fairway.
- Have You Hugged Your Stockbroker Today?
- My Karma just ran over your Dogma.
- My Mother was a Travel Agent for Guilt Trips
- Hug Your Kids at Home and Belt Them in the Car.
- I brake for Hallucinations.
- Illiterate? Call This Number for Help…
- Welcome to Colorado – Now Go Home
- If You Love Jesus Tithe – Any Fool Can Honk
- I’m OK. You’re So-So.
- Will Rogers Never Met Howard Cosell.
- Use Caution in Passing – Driver Chewing Tobacco
- If Men Could Have Abortions, It Would Be a Sacrament
- Your Mother’s Choice was Pro-Life.
- Don’t Honk – I’m Pedaling as Fast as I Can
- If You Can Read This Bumper Sticker, You’re In Range
And Finally, “Help Stamp Out Bumper Stickers.”
That’s an overview on culture. It’s an interesting and rich subject. We’ve only scratched the surface. Next time we start looking at what this has to do with the church.