Yes, it’s that time again. Christmas is over, the New Year is about to begin. The stores are getting ready to bring out the Valentines Day merchandise. So, people all around the world will be making New Years Resolutions.
The Apostle Paul made a famous resolution which is recorded in 1 Corinthians 2:2, though I doubt it was at the turning of the year. He wrote, “ For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.”
For those inclined to make resolutions at this time of the year – or at any time, I have a list of suggestion. The list is not original with me, but is borrowed from John Piper.
Twenty Resolutions from the Book of James
- I resolve to ask God for wisdom to speak out of a single-minded devotion to him (1:5).
- I resolve to boast only in the exultation I receive in Jesus Christ and also in the humiliation I receive for Jesus Christ (1:9-10).
- I resolve to set a watch over my mouth (1:13).
- I resolve to be constantly quick to hear and slow to speak (1:19).
- I resolve to learn the gospel way of speaking to both rich and poor (2:1-4).
- I resolve to speak in the present consciousness of my final judgment (2:12).
- I resolve never to stand on anyone’s face with the words I employ (2:16).
- I resolve never to claim as reality in my life what I do not truly experience (3:14).
- I resolve to resist quarrelsome words as evidence of a bad heart that needs to be mortified (4:1).
- I resolve never to speak decided evil against another out of a heart of antagonism (4:11).
- I resolve never to boast in anything but what I will accomplish (4:13).
- I resolve to speak as one subject to the providences of God (4:15).
- I resolve never to grumble. The judge is at the door (5:9).
- I resolve never to allow anything but total integrity in everything I say (5:12).
- I resolve to speak to God in prayer whenever I suffer (5:13).
- I resolve to sing praises to God whenever I’m cheerful (5:14).
- I resolve to ask for the prayers of others when I’m in need (5:14).
- I resolve to confess it whenever I have failed (5:15).
- I resolve to pray with others for one another whenever I am together with them (5:15).
- I resolve to speak words of restoration when I see another wander (5:19).
Do you have any resolutions you’d like to share? Let’s discuss this.